Monday, December 2, 2013

Week 12: First Baptism!, Exact Obedience and the Lord's Help

What's up everyone!

So, first I got 2 packages from you, and thanks so much! I was so excited! I didn't find much use for the Halloween decorations as it is nearly Christmas...but thanks Mom :) My favorite thing that was in the package was no doubt the picture album. I loved all the pictures and talking with the other Elders about my family. Ah, you all are the best!!

This week was quite exciting. We had our first baptism on Saturday! It's been the first baptism here in a very long time. Elder Gomez has been here now 4 months and that was his first also And before that, the only baptism was a 8 year old member family. So no convert baptisms in over 6 months! Miracles are happening ad it's awesome. We just try to be obedient to the best of our ability to qualify for the Lord's help. In the Pearl of Great Price, the Book of Moses:6, we learn about Enoch. He was called as a missionary but didn't believe he was qualified. He said the people hate me, I am but a lad, and am slow of speech. He followed the Lord's commandments with exactness, however, and became such a powerful servant of the Lord that i verse 34 the Lord says he will justify everything Enoch says. "The very mountains will flee before you, and the rivers will turn their course."  Even though Elder Gomez and I are lads, me barely 19 and him 19 as well, we can accomplish great things if we obey with exactness and exercise faith in the Lord.

Actually this week I had some proof of that. The Lord promises that we "will not be confounded before men." Well, I went on exchanges with the zone leader Elder Leduna this week, and asked if we could work in my area. I was excited to lead the area to kin of see where I was at  and learn a lot. Well, in one of the lessons we were teaching Brother Gaspar. He is 50 or 60, and was a Methodist Pastor. He has a much more extensive knowledge of the Bible than me of course, but not necessarily correct understanding. But he knows more verses and everything than me. We got into a sort of debate, mainly about being born again and if we were children of God or not. Interestingly enough, the day before I studied Baptism and learned about being born again and studied the verse he kept referring to in John 3...verse 6 I believe; but anyways I didn't quite fully understand it when I was studying, but it clicked while teaching. He would pose questions and I had answers. Not only answers, but answers that caused him to think and question himself. Elder Laduna had a scripture pop into his head that he though would really help explain that we are children of God. We both didn't know where in the Bible it exactly was, or even what book for that matter. So I just opened up my Bible to a random page and BOOM! Romans 8:16! haha I was shocked! "The Spirit beareth witness that...we are the children of God" I was amazed and knew the Lord helps his servants. After the lesson Elder Leduna said that was the best Tagalog I had spoken. The Lord qualifies us in our time of need. He calls the unlearned to teach the wise. Same with Joseph Smith. I have often wondered 'Wow! a 14 year old boy' But there is no better age! Innocent yet not too young. He wasn't well educated. Just had the basics. He was perfect for the job to restore the Church. I know that even though I'm young and look younger than I am, the Lord will help me and qualify the things I say.

Anyways, have a great week fam! Thanks again for all the support.
Mahal ko kayo!!
-Elder Watkins




No comments:

Post a Comment