Friday, September 20, 2013

Companions, Blessings, Fish, and Basketball

Hey Dad!

Pday is Friday in the MTC, so expect that. We aren't allowed to take pic in the MTC, only at specified times which is 3 times in the whole stay so you prolly [probably] won't get any pics for a while. However, I have been using the recorder, but I probably sound non-enthusiastic; it's just because I am tired. But I'll try to figure out how to work it and start sending those :)

So first...first day we had a meeting with the MTC president. That night I was made district leader...Wow! wasn't expecting that. I got a lot of extra things to do now because of that. It's kinda funny because everyone is older than me, but literally they ask me every 2 seconds where, what, and how and everything they're supposed to be doing! They think like I have extra information but thankfully I occasionally get specific promptings from the Spirit that help them that I know didn't come from me. Being the leader here is pretty sweet though; I'm liking controlling what's going on

My companion is Elder Howlett from Delta, Utah. He is 22 raised on a farm and is a cowboy. Super shy and really sincere and tries his best to learn stuff. It's actually hilarious to listen to him talk cause he talks like a western cowboy saying all the weird sounds - it's hilarious But he honestly reminds me of Grandpa Watkins. His is always forgetting and asking for permission and always saying he understands but then forgets. But he's so sincere and tries hard. I love him a lot and pray for him all the time, he's a great guy just trying to improve. He has really opened up to me. The other two roommates are Elder Finau and Elder Latu. They are from New Zealand and are awesome, huge, funny guys. But I guess "da**" isn't a swear word there and they both said it once in our district meeting and all the sisters started like crying...hahaha I was dying... anyways we have a good time with them.

The days are packed. Peoply who say the MTC goes by fast maybe the time does but the days are superrr long. Like I expect it to be 4 o'clock and it's just noon!! Every second you have places to be. It's kind interesting thought that a lot of time we learn by ourselves and with our companions. They teach us 1 principle of the gospel and grammar a day but the rest is you and your companion. We've been teaching our investigator and it's been hard cause I do the lesson and he says the prayer and maybe 1 thing the whole time. I asked our investigator to be baptized once and she said yes. I asked him what he thought and he didn't realize that I asked her to commit to baptism. Most of the study time I explain the doctrine we're teaching then translate it, then help him to write it out. It's ok though because it's just making me learn faster...also I love him because he is putting in a lot of work and I've already seen tons of improvement in one week.

Most spiritual part of the week was giving blessings. A few sisters have asked me to give them blessings and I have no clue what they need to hear, but when I start things come to mind and they are always like bawling after and they are things that are just weird. Like one was - you would be able to start eating the food and the next day we got a whole cooked fish on our plates, and she ate it! Yes, a whole fish - head, bones, and all! But being able to be a tool for the Lord to help His daughters is always a very spiritual experience and a highlight.

Speaking of the food, the whole time we have been here there have been only 2 meals without rice :) I love it! hahaha It's great.

Ya, we play basketball and I think I talk about it on the recording, but I've been owning. This tall kid plays at SUU and asked me to be on his team, instead of roommates' team. I said "Nah" and we wasted him hahaha. He's like 6'9" and take it super serious so it's nice to smash him a bit ;)

I love being here at the MTC, I love everything about it. We are doing tough things but it's just teaching me to rely on the Lord more and increasing my testimony. I love this opportunity to serve the Lord and bring people unto Him and share the happiness and knowledge I have for myself...what a blessing!

Elder Watkins

No comments:

Post a Comment